CHILD ABUSE is any act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation; or an act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm.
It shouldn't hurt to be a child:
- In 2015, Texas had 66,721 confirmed victims of child abuse/neglect including 6,360 in Harris County.
- In 2015, Texas suffered 171 child abuse/neglect related deaths including 25 in Harris County.
- In Texas, more than 3 children die from abuse or neglect on average every week:
- 182 children are confirmed victims daily.
- More than 7 children are maltreated every hour.
- The median age for reported abuse is 9 years old and 95% of child abuse occurs by someone known to the victim.
- Not all perpetrators are adults: an estimated 23% of reported cases of child sexual abuse are perpetrated by individuals under the age of 18 and approximately 40% are abused by older/larger children whom they know.
- Most abuse occurs due to unreasonable expectations of children’s behavior and/or actions.
- Researchers estimate that 1/3 of abused/neglected children will grow up to abuse their own children.
Crime Stoppers shares important Child Abuse Prevention Tips to protect our most vulnerable community members.